Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chasing after the wind

I was removing the stuff from my old cupboard in preparation for the moving in of the new just now, digged up quite a lot of old books, photos, notes, medals, certs etc.
It just suddenly dawned upon me that the strings of alphabets, the blocks of awards and the pieces of papers/certs were just simply blocks and papers that are rather worthless. I remember myself taking pride in these when I was younger in primary school, regarding them as my achievements. Now when I look back, I do not even consider some a feat to be worth mentioning. 

1 Corinthians 4:17 
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 

The wise look beyond and walk above trials and sufferings of the present life because they envision the glory in eternity that surpasses all the vanities of the present life, and they pursue it. Along the same line in the opposite direction, the foolish commit their entire lives to material pursuit, where the god of the present age has blinded their hearts with the pursuit of pleasure, indulgence and "achievements."

Philippians 3:19
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach
and their glory is in their shame. 
Their mind is on earthly things.

Self sufficiency is the height of folly.

No comments: