Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Turn your eyes upon Jesus

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
(Psalms 4:1)

By the grace of God, He has led me to realise the folly in my heart and enabled me to humble myself and labour in prayer for the kingdom of God once more. The above verse reminded me of God's faithfulness, that what He could accomplish yesterday, He can do today and will be able to do forevermore because He is El Shaddai.

I thank God for letting me be able to pray with Vegas today.. I shared with him about some of my pertinent issues which I had with my mum, shared about my family then we prayed. I was deeply moved in spirit when he offered up prayers of thanksgiving to God for His providence for my family especially in finances. It was indeed a miracle to survive 7 years without a proper income! At that moment, I could only bow my heart and offer my deepest worship and thanksgiving to my Heavenly Father. I thought back on my problems and thought that surely, He will guide and surely I will experience Him and give thanks yet again!
Trust in God.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
(Philipians 4:4)

What are your problems? How do you view your problems? Why are you downcast? Why have you, in the maelstrom of emotions, placed your troubles above God?

When I got home, I got back to reading the plain text of Mark with all my annotations and meditate on them.

When evening came, after the sun had set, they began bringing to Him all who were ill and those who were demon-possessed. And the whole city had gathered at the door. And He healed many who were ill with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He was not permitting the demons to speak, because they knew who He was.
(Mark 1:32-33)

What are your problems? Are they self inflicted? Or even worse, are they made up?

Physical incapacitation
These people who were ill had no means of healing themselves, they were desperate for recovery, to hold on to their dear lives. Remember the paralytic who had 4 men lift him and descend him from the roof to where Jesus was? Physical incapacity is something which I will never comprehend as of now (I've only fractured my right wrist, 3mths cast), but surely, it must be constantly depressing, to be able to want but never able to do.

Spiritual incapacitation
These are the ones posessed by demons. Now, this is really far beyond my grasp but Scripture presents one category of humans here, those who are spiritually incapacitated, those who have lost their very souls to the demons. Scary thought. It probed me to question myself, was I incapacitated whenever I sin? Physical or spiritual? Dude, none. You chose to rebel everytime you sinned.

Finally, but most importantly, it is important zoom in on these issues but we must give glory to God who is sovereign above all. It was incapacitance at its peak which brought these people to seek and find, by the providence of God - the way the truth and the life. God has made providence for trials & temptations in our lives to help us see that we are mere man and that we should always turn our eyes to God alone.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.
(Psalms 4:8)


I'd love to say yes.

No comments: